Bee's Beats


Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Random Start...

1:30 am on a random Wednesday morning...a few of my friends have very interesting blogs (i hate the word "blog" - ugh). Anyway, their posts have inspired me to write some of my own...

I am still sore. My friends and I had planned a nice, relaxing trip to San Diego last weekend. We were going to have a fun road trip, stay in a condo on the beach, and enjoy good food. Unfortunately, San Diego was on fire last week. Thus, we had a change of plans. After about 73 e-mails and a few phone calls, we decided to try out camping in Fossil Springs, just outside of Payson, AZ. Fossil Springs was gorgeous - it was the best time of year to go - the weather was perfect, the leaves were changing color - it was just beautiful. What was not so beautiful was our struggle to and from our campsite. We were quite ambitious in planning our adventure - we had over a 2 hour hike down to our campsite by the creek. Just imagine 6 girls hiking along the trail lugging water, food, sleeping bag, tent, wine, more food, and other supplies. NOT graceful. I don't think I've ever felt that much back and shoulder pain! Yet, I think we did quite well. We pitched our tent in under 10 minutes, went swimming, chilled our wine and champagne in the creek, foraged more than enough wood for the fire, and had a 'gourmet' camping dinner (seriously, we had parmesan/asiago-stuffed chicken breasts with onions, potatoes, mushrooms, and a side of asparagus!) and smores for dessert (of course)!

On the hike back up, I got the privilege of carrying our garbage from our stay. I was exhausted 5 minutes into the trek and dirty from camping and after all, I was hugging 2 bags of trash. I was on the verge of grumpiness and complaints when I made myself think about how things were really not that bad (like my friend Joe would say, "Are you being burned by acid? No? Ok, things could be worse!") I figure the serene nature surroundings assisted in this thought process, but I was really quite happy with how our adventure had turned out. First of all, I realized how grateful I should be that my regular job does not require nor involve much physical labor. That being said, how lucky are we to have the physical and mental ability to accomplish and enjoy a trip like this and to have such great company and friendship - I love these 5 girls! I was so proud of us for pushing ourselves through the challenges and I am impressed with how flexible and well-rounded we are - most of us enjoy classy dinners, dancing/clubbing, and being pampered, and yet we can have fun hiking, camping, and getting down and dirty! I think we are awesome. :) *sigh*...I am still sore.

Anyway, there's my first post! Photos from our adventure can be found here: http://honeybee82.shutterfly.com/

Good night! :)

1 comment:

Jessie said...

ha ha, that was a fun trip. Sorry I'm a little late on commenting. I'm catching up on my blog reading. I like your friend Joe's optimism. I will have to keep this mantra in mind.